ITS 201: Using VPN to Access the New River Network
This page provides the information you need to (1) uninstall the Cisco AnyConnect VPN 3.x Client and then to (2) download, configure, and use the Cisco AnyConnect VPN 4.x Client.
When you are outside the New River network and you are connected to the Internet using a broadband connection you are outside the New River firewall which prevents you from accessing some New River internal resources. If you install the Cisco VPN Client you will be able to access these resources by authenticating into the New River network with your email username and password. The VPN client isn't needed if you are already on campus because you are inside the firewall. It is intended for remote users who wish to securely connect (authenticated access) to New River internal resources.
You're at home (or outside the New River network) and connected to the Internet using a broadband Internet connection (cable modem, satellite, or ADSL) and you would like to access a computer or server that is inside the New River network but you can't. For example, maybe you'd like to use Internet Native Banner so you can get some work done while you're out of the office. Well, to access Internet Native Banner (and some other key New River resources) you must do so from inside the New River network. This is intended to provide more secure access to these resources. You can do this from any location simply by opening a VPN connection prior to accessing the secure New River resources you need.
Users must request this access (submit your request to email@example.com) so that he can update your Active Directory configuration to allow VPN. Just send him an email and he'll grant you the access you need and he'll reply to you that he's done so.
On August 28, 2017, we updated to version 4.x and to obtain this version you must manually uninstall the 3.x version of the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client from your computer.
How to Manually Uninstall the Cisco AnyConnect VPN 3.x Client
To uninstall the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client, follow these steps:
1. Login to your computer and open the Control Panel.
2. Click Programs and Features.
3. Scroll through the list of software installed on your computer and click on Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client.
4. Click Uninstall (at the top of the window).
5. You'll be prompted to see if you are sure about this and you are sure, so click Yes.
6. You might need to click Yes for one more dialogue box prompt.
7. The software is removed when it no longer appears on your list.
8. Close the Programs and Features and any other Control Panel windows you have open.
9. Open a web browser and go to this URL: https://web.newriver.edu/training/it201/index.html
Follow the directions on that page to obtain the newer 4.x version of the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client.
If you need any technical assistance, please contact our Help Desk (304-929-6725).
How to Download and Install the Cisco AnyConnect VPN 4.x Client (PDF Directions)
There are just a few steps to complete before you're ready to access the internal New River network and they are:
- Open a web browser and go to this site: https://vpn.newriver.edu (click to continue through any certificate warnings).
- Enter your username and password (same credentials you use to access New River email).
- Click Login.
- At this point the software will detect your operating system and install the appropriate client, if it is unable to detect your operating system after 30 seconds to 1 minute it should time out and give you a link to download an installer. After the initial installation any time you connect after this it will detect that the application is already installed and launch the client and connect.
- This will place a blue icon in your system tray (bottom right of the screen) when you are done with your VPN session you can right click this icon and click disconnect.
NOTE: If you've never used a VPN client before, the IT staff can provide you with information regarding how it works and how you can best use it. Please contact the Help Desk to request this information.