How Do I Create a PDF File?
(1) Using Office 2013 or 2016
Office 2013 is installed on all computers in labs and classrooms throughout the College, but employees are able to request the upgrade to Office 2016. Please contact the Help Desk if you are an employee and you wish to have the upgrade.
To create a PDF file using Microsoft Office, simply create or open your document then from the File menu, choose Save As, then change the filetype from DOCX to PDF.
(2) Using Office 2007
- Office 2007 has a free plug-in that enables you to save files in PDF format. The plug-in must be downloaded and installed though, before you can use it.
- You can get to the download site from within Microsoft Word or by going directly to the download site.
- Accessing the Download Site from Word 2007:
- Open Microsoft Word 2007 and from the Office Button (upper left corner), choose SAVE AS then choose FIND ADD-INS FOR OTHER FILE FORMATS.
- When the Word Help launches, scroll down to the 2nd bullet titled "Install and use the Save as PDF or XPS add-in from Microsoft".
- Click the link titled "Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS Add-in for 2007 Microsoft Office programs".
- Click the CONTINUE button.
- Click the DOWNLOAD button.
- Direct Access to the Download Site: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en
- Follow the directions to download and install the add-in.
- Once you've finished, you'll be able to choose the Office Button, Save As, and then PDF from within Word, Excel and PowerPoint 2007.
NOTE: For most New River computers, the Information Technology Services staff has already installed this plugin for you so you only need to do step #6 to create your PDF.