Emergency Alert System FAQ
(Frequently Asked Questions)
The New River Emergency Alert System is used to communicate urgent and important information to the New River community. Messages are sent only by key administrators (they are identified below) and they are delivered via three channels. Everyone receives both (1) email messages in their New River inbox and (2) pop-up messages in the College portal. For those users who enter their cell phone information into their profile on the portal, a third delivery channel includes SMS messages received on their cell phones. This FAQ document is intended to answer the most common questions about the Emergency Alert System.
(1) How do I register for the New River Emergency Alert System?
Everyone receives the alert messages by email and by portal login pop-up without taking any action at all. But if you also want to receive the messages on your cell phone, then you must register your cell phone in the portal. To register your cell phone, login to the New River portal (https://my.newriver.edu) and follow these directions:
- Once logged into the portal, click the Menu option in the menubar and then select My Account.
- On the right side of the My Account information page, look under Identification and click SMS.
- Choose your cell phone service provider and type in your cell phone number (with no hyphens, dashes or spaces, e.g.; 3045741123).
- If these steps do not work for you, please contact our Help Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org or 304-929-6725) (include your cell number and provider and we'll update it for you).
(2) What are the cell phone subscriber suffixes that I need when I register my cell phone with the New River Emergency Alert System?
Most folks in our region have Sprint, US Cellular, Verizon, or AT&T, but there are lots of carriers and a more complete list of them is here:
(3) How do I verify that my cell phone information is correct in the New River portal?
1. Login to https://my.newriver.edu
2. Click the drop-down menu option that is named Menu and choose My Account.
3. In the blue navigation box on the right side of your My Account screen, click on SMS.
4. If your cell number is incorrect, please update it. Only use numbers and leave out any hyphens, parentheses, or other non-numerical characters (e.g., 3045551212). If your carrier has changed, please update that information by using the information in #2 above.
5. Click Save and logout of the portal.
(4) Who can send New River Emergency Alert System messages?
Only key administrators have this ability and as of September 7, 2018 they are (listed alphabetically by last name):
- David J. Ayersman
- M. Katherine Butler
- Jenni R. Canterbury
- Gary P. Davis
- Roger D. Griffith
- Mary M. Igo
- Richard B. Pagan
- Robert A. Runion
- Leah A. Taylor
(5) How does someone send a New River Emergency Alert System message?
Only key administrators have this ability (see #4 above) but the steps to send a message are described in a brief video tutorial. Here is a link to that tutorial:
Feedback Form | New River Portal