New River Email Procedures
Your newriver.edu email account is the primary method of electronic communication used at New River. There is a general expectation that you check your New River email account at least every few days so as to not miss out on any important college-related information. Email accounts are created for everyone currently affiliated with New River and the searchable online directory (People Search) contains all these email addresses and other contact information.
For employees, these email accounts are active until the last day of employment with the College. For students, these accounts may continue to be used even after graduation, when they become alumni. If a student stops attending the College but doesn't graduate, we will disable these email accounts annually.
The following information provides guidelines for accessing and using email.
The primary method of accessing a student email account is to use the web-based interface commonly referred to as "OWA" (Microsoft Office Outlook Web App). The URL for this site is: https://mail.newriver.edu
The primary email protocol used at New River for employees is EXCHANGE (not POP3 and not IMAP). IMAP is available for any employee required to access multiple New River email accounts and for off-campus access to New River email.
The server-side options (defaults) for email accounts include the following configuration:
- Email quota is 1GB for students and alumni (2GB for faculty and staff).
- Users may reset their own passwords online using the Forgot Password link on the portal login page (video tutorial).
- The default limit for number of recipients is 500 (this means most folks can't send an email to the firstname.lastname@example.org group which has over 500 members).
- The default attachment size is limited to 12MB.
- All passwords expire after six months (you will be notified in advance to reset your password).
- New passwords must be strong passwords (learn more about strong passwords in IT 075: Orientation Overview).
- Passwords must be a minimum of six characters and no more than 12.
- Not contain the user's account name or parts of the user's full name that exceed two consecutive characters.
- Contain characters from three of the following four categories:
- English uppercase characters (A through Z)
- English lowercase characters (a through z)
- Base 10 digits (0 through 9)
- Non-alphabetic characters (for example, !, $, #, %)
- View the video tutorial
Client-side default configurations include the following settings:
- Draft messages are stored on the server.
- Sent messages are stored on the server.
- Junk messages are stored on the server.
- Deleted messages are moved to the Trash mailbox.
- Deleted messages are stored on the server and permanently erased when one week old.
- Copies of messages and their attachments are kept offline for viewing.
Departing faculty and staff receive the following email support:
- Email accounts are deactivated on the day of departure.
- Because New River emails are College property, we do not forward emails to personal accounts for departing employees. Instead, we typically recieve a request to forward these emails to another active employee.
- Are created when student admission data is entered into Banner by the admissions office.
- Are created for full-time employees when the personnel information is entered into Banner by the Human Resources office. We try to create accounts for all part-time employees when we learn of new hires, but unfortunately this process isn't yet working as well as we would like. So please contact us if we haven't yet created your account and you are a new part-time employee.